IVF - In-Vitro Fertilization
What is IVF?
Fertilization is the FUSION OF EGG AND SPERM. When it happens outside the body, it is called In-vitro fertilization. IVF is a basic form of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) Procedure. IVF treatment is a fertilization process where good quality sperm and egg are stored inside an IVF lab and then transferred into the woman’s uterus. Due to the inability to conceive naturally, IVF is used for conceiving a child through their good quality sperm and egg.
- Fallopian tube damage or blockage.
- Ovulation disorders – If ovulation is infrequent or absent, fewer eggs are available for fertilization.
- Premature ovarian failure – Premature ovarian failure is the loss of normal ovarian function before age 40. If your ovaries fail, they don’t produce normal amounts of hormone estrogen or have eggs to release regularly.
- Endometriosis – Endometriosis occurs when the uterine tissue implants and grows outside of the uterus –often affecting the function of the ovaries, uterus and fallopian tubes
- Uterine fibroids – Fibroids are benign tumors in the wall of the uterus and common in women in their 30s and 40s. Fibroids can interfere with implantation of the fertilized egg.
- Previous tubal sterilization or removal – If you’ve had tubal ligation-a type of sterilization in which your fallopian tubes are cut or blocked to permanently prevent.
- Impaired sperm production or function – Below-average sperm concentration, Weak movement of sperm (poor motility), or abnormalities in sperm size and shape can make it difficult for sperm to fertilize an egg. If semen abnormalities are found, your partner might need to see a specialist to determine if there are correctable problems or underlying health concerns.
- Unexplained infertility – Unexplained infertility means no cause of infertility has been found despite evaluation for common causes
- Genetic disorder If you or your partner is at risk of passing on a genetic disorder to your child, you may be candidates for pre-implantation genetic diagnosis-a procedure that involves IVF. After the eggs are harvested and fertilized, they’re screened for certain genetic problems, although not all genetic problems can be found. Embryos that don’t contain identified problems can be transferred to the uterus.
- Fertility preservation for cancer or other health conditions – If you’re about to start cancer treatment-such as radiation or chemotherapy-that could harm your fertility, IVF for fertility preservation may be an option.
What is the IVF Procedure?
- Preparation for IVF
- Correct BMI of woman.
- Do a Hormone Assay for the woman-Day 2 tests.
- Based on BMI and hormone assay, an Ovarian Stimulation Protocol is customized for the woman in order to induce ovulation. Ovulation Induction drugs and injections are given to get more number of good quality eggs.
- Controlled Ovarian Stimulation: The ovary is stimulated by a proper tailored Ovarian Stimulation Protocol. The aim is to get the optimal number of good quality eggs.
- Oocyte is retrieved from the female by a procedure called Ovum-Pick-Up which is done under short General Anesthesia (GA).
- Good quality sperms are selected and a good number of them are collected.
- The sperms and eggs are immediately given to the IVF Lab. In the lab the eggs and sperms will be put in a petri dish, in a media similar to the female fallopian tubal fluid, and the sperm will fertilize the egg by itself.
- The fertilized egg will become an embryo. After 3-5 days, the live embryo will be transferred directly into the uterus of the woman.
The IVF Lab is a quality control bio-laboratory where live microorganisms like the oocyte (Egg), Spermatozoa (sperm), and embryos (fertilized egg) are handled. It is a very meticulous and delicate task because everything must be live until the end of the procedure, their quality must be assured, and their viability must be protected.
The inability to conceive isn’t always a problem of low sperm quality or a weak egg. There are several complex problems arises inside our reproductive parts that restrict the complete procedure of reproduction. Now, there is one clinic that is well-known for providing the best IVF treatment in Chennai, i.e. Palani Balaji.
Since 1993, Palani Balaji has been using advanced technology to help many infertile couple. This complicated medical procedure is carried out in our specialized IVF lab by the best IVF doctors. Our well-experienced staff and doctors are given the necessary equipment’s and advanced high tech training to help our patients dream of having their biological child come true.